Friday, November 12, 2010

Dolly Wilde: Inspirational Women Poster Book

The new zine, 'Shape & Situate: Posters of Inspirational European Women,
curated by Melanie Maddison.


Melanie Maddison of fanzine Colouring Outside the Lines has produced a new fanzine to which I have contributed a poster, dedicated to Dolly Wilde, niece of Oscar Wilde. She has also asked me to submit a poster for the next edition, which I really look forward to starting.

After much effort and deliberation, this was my final submission to the current edition:

I found Dolly a really hard person to illustrate. From what little I know of her, she was an elusive character, someone I would have been absolutely enamoured with and intimidated by, an effect sophisticated, glamourous and extremely intelligent women tend to have on me. The elements I love about Dolly are her performative pursuits (she was well known for her impersonations of her uncle Oscar), her sense of humour (she was a famously witty woman), her self-indulgence, her commitment to living luxuriously (even if that meant having no financial independence worth talking about and having severe addiction issues), being in an openly gay and polyamorous relationship for most of her life, for driving an ambulance in WWII (she loved driving motor cars really fast!), for never documenting her writing and inadvertently protesting the privilege of written text over oral history (very important for me and one of the main reasons I decided I wanted to depict her in a poster for Melanie's fanzine).

I really cannot wait to get my copy of this fanzine from the UK (where Melanie is based) and I hope to eventually have some for selling too. Let me know if you would like a copy: owlbusyness@gmail.com

Here are some of the many posters/ images I created whilst trying to figure out how best to depict Dolly, from my point of view:

No comments:

Post a Comment